Last December, I blogged about how 10,000 West Virginian’s (and 700,000 nationwide) would lose their Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits due to new work requirements from the Trump administration.
Last week, that action was blocked by a federal judge. From the Associated Press:
A federal judge has issued an injunction blocking the Trump administration from adopting a rule change that would force nearly 700,000 Americans off food stamps, officially known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP. The rule change was set to take effect April 1.
In a ruling issued Friday evening in Washington, D.C., U.S. District Court Judge Beryl Howell called the rule change capricious, arbitrary and likely unlawful.
Yesterday, the Trump administration decided to fight the judge’s ruling, however. As the AP headlined:
USDA to Appeal Ruling, Seeks Food Stamp Change Amid Pandemic
Find jobs? Existing jobs are already disappearing at an alarming rate. And for those SNAP recipients with jobs, do we want the sick to be showing-up to put food on their table?
Ellen Vollinger, legal director for the advocacy group the Food Research & Action Center, said her organization opposes the changes at any time. But the idea of pressuring low-income workers to keep their hours up is particularly dangerous right now, she said.
“You don't want to have workers going out when they're sick and trying to document the right number of hours just to keep their benefits," she said.
Of course not, but this is the Trump administration.